Lateral Police Officer
POSITION: Patrolman, Patrolman First Class
Salary: Negotiable based on experience.
REPORTS TO: Sergeant, Patrol
Police officers are responsible for the efficient performance of required duties conforming to the policies, procedures, rules and special orders contained herein. Duties shall consist of, but are not limited to, general police responsibilities necessary for the safety and good order of the community. The police officer position is non-supervisory. Police officer duties are performed on an assigned shift under the general guidance of the Division Commander, Sergeant or Corporal.
Thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations of the department; thorough knowledge of approved principles, practices and procedures of police work; excellent knowledge of the department’s policies, procedures, general orders and memorandums; thorough knowledge of pertinent state laws, municipal ordinances and court decisions; thorough knowledge of the geography of the municipality and location of important buildings; ability to deal with the public courteously and firmly to establish and maintain satisfactory public relations; ability to analyze complex police problems and situations and to adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action; skill in the use of firearms.
Lateral Police Officers:
- Previously possessed a valid certification through the Maryland Police Training Commission, or capable of being certified after completing comparative compliance training.
MAJOR JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Identify criminal offenders and criminal activity and, where appropriate, apprehend offenders and participate in subsequent court proceedings;
- Reduce the opportunities for the commission of crime through preventive patrol and other measures;
- Aid people who are in danger of physical harm;
- Facilitate the movement of vehicular and pedestrian traffic;
- Identify problems that are potentially serious law enforcement or governmental problems;
- Create and maintain a feeling of security in the community;
- Promote and preserve the peace;
- Provide other emergency services